Thursday, November 22, 2007

PJ - "What I'm Thankful for"

Hi, I'm the new guy. I have so much to be thankful for!

I'm thankful that the Indiana House Rabbit Society rescued me from the local animal shelter. I had been there for at least 3 months, but it felt like forever! It was so loud there - dogs barking, cats meowing (us rabbits are kept in the same room as the cats, and there aren't any windows or anything between that room and where the dogs are), and all sorts of smells. I had been "Mr. Boo" because of my tatooed ear. It really reads MRBR0, which means Mini-Rex Brindle and the number zero. I had been at the shelter long enough to know not to overturn my pellet bowl, for that would mean I wouldn't have food until they cleaned my cage the next day. I had to sit on a pressed steel floor that was a lot like wire, and it was uncomfortable. I had a big lump under my chin, too.

I'm thankful that Mama adopted me. The IHRS got me neutered and the lump removed from under my chin. They thought that I might have cancer, but I didn't. Now I have a nice solid floor under me, water and pellets galore, plus salad and hay and, best of all, love and attention. For over 6 years, I was kept outside and even had tapeworms. I still have some in me, but they can't hurt anyone. I have problems with goopy stuff coming out of my butt, and I continue to have urine scald because of the goo. Mama loves me anyway, even though I sort of smell. She calls me "Goo Boy" sometimes, but I don't mind. I show her how much I love her by licking her hands and arms when she's scratching my back, neck and sides where I can't reach. I'm not very flexible (the bones in my back are joining together, so I can't reach around real well to scratch or groom), but Mama knows that and scratches my itches.

With my age and problems, I don't know how I escaped being euthanized. But I'm so glad I did. I'm getting a lot of lovin' and my Mama understands me and gives me what I've always wanted.

PJ

No comments: